Monday, March 1, 2010

Just a bit of Motivation

I have stated before.... I love the way all of my classes right now actually relate to each other, and what I want to do with my life.  Another great thing?  They motivate me like crazy.

I have given you plenty of little facts and tips to make you think about what you are eating, but this last week, I have been feeling especially motivated.... and guilty (in a good way)  I think guilt is a necessary thing in order to motivate change.  I also think that because sun is shining and teasing us with Spring, we are all feeling the need to get that extra motivation so we all look fabulous for the Summer months.  I can almost guarantee everyone I know wants to look good in a swimsuit!  And between my nutrition class and physiology class lately, I sure am realizing what I should be doing now, and forever.  It seems the main thing people want to do... is lose weight.  Which is great, especially now-a-days when there seems to be problems and medical issues arising from being overweight.  But what happens when you do lose the weight you want?  After you lose that 10, 20, 30 pounds, how motivated are you to keep going to the gym and eat healthy?  It is so  hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle until you have it pounded into your head.  I know people that can go both ways.  I know some people who already know the benefits.  They already understand the importance of eating healthy, working out on a regular basis, and avoiding things like that will be more harmful to you than helpful to you.

#1 thing that really stood out in one of my physiology lecture last week:  Because of the way muscles work and use oxygen and energy, it takes 30 minutes of aerobic activity before your body starts using and metabolizing the stored fat in your body.  So my goal from here on out?  Is to get back into the gym at least 4 days a week for more than an hour.  I started today.  And I am motivated.

And even though I will write a separate blog later on this.... I still need to tell you.  Fish oil is amazing. It is one of the best "fats" for your body, and there are so many benefits!  Whether you get it by pill (that's my way) or by actually eating fish with Omega 3 (no thanks, I hate fish!), it is a fantastic thing you need in your diet! (the other two fats that are actually good for you are canola oil and olive oil.... because you do need fat in your diet!)

My nutrition class also ruined dessert for me today.  I have a serious sweet tooth.  And one of the worst desserts you can order?  The delicious chocolate chip paradise pie from Chillis.  It has 1,600 calories!  That is the equivalent of 3 Big Macs and 8 days worth of what you should be eating in sugar.  So sad.  I love dessert.  And I go to Chillis a lot too.  Next goal:  eat healthy ALL THE TIME, even when I eat out on the weekends.  For serious.  I need to start making some good habits now so I can make my life healthy, not just tone up for Summer.

1 comment:

  1. I love it that you are learning all this at such a young age! Yayyy! Start habits when you are younger and hopefully they will stick with you the older you get.

    Motivation is so very hard. I have a mental battle with myself every single morning when my alarm goes off at 5am. How easy would it be to stay in bed and sleep in? So easy...you have no idea. It takes me about 30 seconds of fighting with myself (inside my brain) to take that first step and get my butt dressed for my morning workout.

    Two good/easy ways to stay motivated? #1 - Join a hard core boot camp type class...where you are forced to continue moving, no matter how hard the workout gets. #2 - Take a strongly committed work out pal/buddy. No excuses are allowed whatsoever by either party. Attend every workout class/session together. I admit, after a heavy night of enjoying my wine, I've gone to class still drunk...but I've GONE! No excuses!

    Best of luck Danielle! :)

    ReplyDelete