Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pwetty Flowers

Consider my curiosity pricked.
I have always been so uneducated about flowers.  And I don't have a certain "favorite" that I neeeeed every time I get flowers.  It's the most un-girly thing I have in me.  I know roses are so popular, and I really do love them, but I like others too.  I like pretty, creative bouquets, but don't know what they mean.  So I am on a mission to find flowers, other than roses, that fit me.

First, the flowers I have always found pretty, and I think they suit me pretty well.  But I still wanted to know the meaning.
Gerbra daisies: meaning innocence, loyal love, purity, and gentleness

And next: Sunflowers (especially the freshly picked kind)
Meaning: loyalty and wishes
Fun fact: you can steam the buds like artichokes and they even taste a bit similar.
 

Beyond that, I know nothing. So here are a few of my findings that I like....

Chrysanthemum-  I found this one because it is the flower for my birth month. November.  And that seems pretty important, don't you think?

 
Freesia: they mean spirited.  However in these, I think I am a bit picky on color.... but sooo pretty.
 

Apple blossoms: promise

 
Hibiscus: strength of character. However again, I think it would depend completely on color :)
 

Star of Bethlehem: hope *soooo pretty and simple*
 

  
One of the more unique flowers I found.....
The Passion Flower: obviously meaning passion
 

There were a few more that caught my eye, but these were the main ones that I narrowed it down to.  What about you, do you have a favorite flower?  Do you know what it means?  I am curious.  I want to know if there are more uncommon favorites :) Please, educate this girl!


The latest: Holy crap you all have lots of pretty favorites. I am lovin' it! Thanks!  And I also just realized I lied.  I would love love love to receive a rainbow rose.... Does anyone  have any idea if they dry pretty too?  :)

4 comments:

  1. Ah, coming from a girl who has one flower tattoo and is considering a second... you can have a favorite based on a number of different things.

    I have no idea what most flowers mean. But I know what certain ones mean to me. I worry that meaning changes for flowers based on where the information is looked up.... so I tend to shy away from those meanings.

    I have a tattoo on my back that's about 5 years old and it's a pansy. Hate the name, but love what it means to me. I got it for my grandmother... she used to plant a bunch of flowers (these kinds included) in our backyard. Purple has always been one of her favorite colors and one I associate greatly with her... so bam... one of my fav flowers.

    Also love red roses, but for a family meaning. Ross got me a single red rose on the day I learned my grandfather died. On the day I had to pack my bags, leave him in Germany and fly alone, back to the states for the funeral. That flower is pressed and in my room in a frame. I'll always associate red roses with those two guys.

    For just pretty smelling ones? Lilacs. For memories of childhood? Lilies of the valley. For fun and weird? Bleeding hearts.

    None that are normal by any means :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coool... I once was given some columbine flowers for my bday because they supposedly represent my zodiac sign... they were purple and beautiful and i had never heard of them..so i loved em!! My actual month flower is Lily of the Valley.. also pretty and they sum me up perfectly... "sweetness and humility". Otherwise this girl ~loves~ pink rhododendron..esp the cascading kind ***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh the columbine flowers are gorgeous! I had to google them to see them, but I love them! Thanks for commenting!
    And Reese- I think those are also great reasons to find meaning in flowers, maybe my deal is that I have no "attachment" to a flower yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black Schwarzwalder calla lilies! I'm trying to find an (affordable) way to get some for my bouquet!

    ReplyDelete