Friday, January 22, 2010

Treadmills and Trans Fat

So... I have been attempting to work out 4 times a week.  Lately, this has been working great, since I am on the job hunt and all.  So I go to the gym.  I love cardio work outs.  I, however, hate treadmills.  Because as soon as I get going up to a fast enough pace to make them worth my time?  I get so scared that I am going to be one of those people that loses my rhythm or trips myself and bifs it, falling to crack my nose open then have the belt of the treadmill throw me onto the floor.  It's my thought every time I get on one of those things.  So my favorite thing?  An elliptical! And the stair masters. Because both make me feel like I am actually working out.

Also?  I love Fridays.  Especially this one.  I have a wonderful lunch with my best friend of 10 years, I head South an hour to see my boyfriend, who is also taking me with some friends to go see Cross Canadian Ragweed!  And in honor of them..... Song of the day!

Nutrition fact of the day: Trans fat is BAD.  It is one of the leading causes of heart disease and cancer.  And the people that make those "Nutrition Facts" labels also like to trick you. Because they can tell you there is 0 grams of tans fat if there is less than 500 mg of hydrogenated oil per serving in their product.  Peanut butter, for example (unless you get the natural kind)  has lots of hydrogenated oil (loaded with trans fats), but because there is just a small enough amount of it per serving, they can tell you that it doesn't have that bad fat in there.  Even though it does.  Same with Oreos.  You might as well just eat cancer.  Sad story.  I love Oreos and they are loaded with sugar AND trans fat.  Also?  Check out your frozen pizza, frozen burritos, and other stuff like that.  They generally admit to having trans fat.  Which means that they are really.... loaded with that yuck.

Seems almost impossible to cut out so much sugar and trans fat out of a poor college kid diet!  I plan on working my hardest though!

4 comments:

  1. All hail Schwan's four-cheese pizza & your sister's and my brilliant plan for healthy lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to be healthy, work out and look at nutrition labels at your young age!! Some people (not naming names mind you!) wait way too long and then pretend to get in shape/work out...whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Couldn't figure out how to comment on your first post, but just letting you now I have a 4 year old who would love to play anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ I would love to! I need to see your family more. Sean asked me to babysit when I was over in Cheyenne over break. But if you two want a date night soon, I would be more than happy to play with your kids for a few hours!

    ReplyDelete